Saturday, October 4, 2014

More About Newville

I decided to stop by the Old Mill of Newville on my way to meet Carol, Gavin, and Lilly at Prairie Peddler last Saturday.  My plans did not work out.  Even though I should know the difference between 95 and 97, I seemed to have forgotten and became lost.  When I found myself I had trouble crossing the highway at the bottom of Cleveland Street to get to 95.  Once on 95, it did not take me long to get there.

Site of Old Newville Mill
Slater's Run empties into the Clearfork of the Mohican just upstream from this location.

Clearfork of the Mohican River
 At the risk of boring you, I must describe my encounters with people at the bridge.  Three girl bicyclists came along first.  They could not confirm the location.  Next, a gentleman in a pickup came along and confirmed the location and added the information that there was a canal which carried water to the wheel from upstream.

Old Mill Canal
The canal passed out of the shade and to the left of the white sycamore tree.  Later as I drove out I noted that the cut was deeper and at one point I saw a bridge crossing it.  I wondered if it connected to Slater's Run.

  Another person came along and informed me that just downstream around the bend there was a beaver dam.  I promised to go but was too tired to do it.  The bicycle girls came back going the other way being rescued by a husband, I assume.  One of them had a flat tire.  Others came by and the frequency increased such that it was way too crowded for me.

Site of Old Newville Mill
It was covered in chest deep weeds and I decided that later in the year might be a better time.  I saved the location in my GPS locator so I will get there more easily next time.


Site of Old Newville Mill
 The site is across the river from the camera.  Not unlike Alfred Hitchcock, I appear in some of my work.  Some one came along and gently honked at me to get off the bridge so they could pass.

Clearfork Valley
 The setting is just beautiful!  I got so caught up in it that I did not make it to Prairie Peddler.  I became so tired that I headed for home trying to avoid the crazy traffic.  I was too tired to fix dinner Saturday night and ate peanuts.

Today, I will try again for Prairie Peddler.

Larry's Images



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


No comments: