Sunday, April 6, 2014

Migrating Salamanders

GNC Vernal Pool 1
I look and think of the various things I have seen over the years as I have walked my trail at Gorman.  I have longed for the ice to melt on the vernal pools, thinking we might be one step closer to seeing dragon flies.  This was my favorite pool last season.  I made prints of pictures I captured here and they are hung in the visitors center presently.  I also made a short slide show about creatures from this pool.

Vernal Pool 2
This pool, just 30 yards from the one above is still frozen on top.  I photographed wood frogs in this pool while they were mating.

On this particular day, April 1, I was wondering about salamanders.  I am told that they migrate from the woods, where they live under rocks, down to the vernal pools to mate.  It supposedly happens on the night of the first "warm" rain.  I was wondering if we have had that night yet this year.  If I were younger, I would like stay up to photograph them sometime.  For now, I will have to satisfy myself with their images from other times and places.



Salamander Larvae
I have netted them from the pond.

Tiger Salamander
I have found them on the trail after a flash flood.

Tiger Salamander
The "classroom" salamander came along with a toad I once photographed.  I don't think they are very photogenic.  It seams that the spotted salamander fits that role better.  Maybe I will find one sometime.


No comments: