Sunday, June 16, 2013

Kelly's Heroes, My Reaction, A Father's Day Special

I recently watched "Kelly's Heroes" a WW II comedic movie made in 1970.  It was set in 1944 as the Allies push across Europe.  I found it a little silly in the early going but strongly enjoyed one of the characters, Oddball, played by Donald Sutherland.  Private Petco, Perry Lopez, Major General Colt, Carroll O'Connor, Kelly, Clint Eastwood and the others didn't cause me many, if any, chuckles.  I have always liked Donald Sutherland and I found myself laughing a lot while watching him.  I found that my reaction was prolonged, afterward, and tried to analyze what it was and why. 

Donald Sutherland as Oddball
That is a 70's haircut (above) if I ever saw one.  I doubt that in the 1944 setting of the movie, men wore their hair that way.  The war, WW II, was not at all funny in the 1944 world into which I was born.  It affected everyone and all experienced shortages, gas rationing, etc.

We meet Sargent Oddball and his commune later in the movie as the plan to steal the Nazi gold develops.  He leads three "souped up" Sherman Tanks.  Their commander was lost in battle and not reported so Oddball assumed command.  He hears about the gold and decides to throw in with the effort.

Flower Children and Hippies were a part of the fabric of our culture in 1970.  I think that the irony just struck me since it was inserted into the 1944 setting.  The Vietnam conflict/war was in full swing in 1970.  It became a source of much contention in our society as time progressed.  The Hippies were, for the most part, pacifists.  Isn't it funny that they would be fighting in WW II?

Donald Sutherland as Oddball
Donald wears an aviator's leather helmet for head protection.  The reason might have been to protect his hair.  His Sherman has a loud speaker and he plays music when he goes into battle.  I have two favorite scenes in the movie.  In the first, Oddball and company exit a railroad tunnel to shoot up the Germans.  They are playing Hank Williams' music loudly.  In the other scene, They are coming down the road to meet up with Kelly, et al.  They are playing the "Battle Hymn of the Republic."  I just love it!

Maybe the music strikes a chord, pun intended, for me.  Its use was extremely effective.  Speaking of music, I found "Burning Bridges" performed by the Mike Curb Congregation very catchy.  I felt that "marching through George", camaraderie.  It was used several times during the movie as traveling music.  The Battle Hymn is from the Civil War, era.  Oh, the irony!  Those of you who know me know that my sense of humor is difficult for most people.  A lot of people miss it all together.  Maybe this is just my kind of humor!

Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook.
 
Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


 


No comments: