Monday, October 22, 2012

Aerial Photography

Frank and Larry
I went flying the other day.  It was my first experience in a light plane.  Frank Ujvari owner of U-vary Air was the pilot.  Frank is a great pilot, having been an F-18 pilot.  I am sorry that I did not get to discuss his past experiences with him.  I was pretty focused on what I was doing.  He did tell me he flew off aircraft carriers but I did not think to ask which one or ones.

Gorman Nature Center
I may have mentioned previously that I am doing a new slide show titled, "The Colors of Gorman."  My primary reason for flying was to get some aerial shots for the slide show.  I had contacted David Fitzsimmons about the shoot beforehand to get suggestions.  He said to use a prime lens if I had one.  I think that might be because it would be less prone to flare.  He said to make sure it was a clear day.  He also told me to shoot at 1/1000 sec.  I think that he also told me not to let the camera touch the plane and of course don't use a tripod.
I also read about aerial photography in Galen Rowell's book, Outdoor Photography.  He pretty much reinforced the ideas I already had.

We waited about a week looking at long range forecasts.  Finally, the day arrived or so we thought.  I looked at the weather before leaving for the airport.  They said we would have a clear day.  The weather we had experienced was moving East and was over Pittsburgh.  At the airport, the Eastern sky began to become brighter and I could see that weather front moving off to the East.  There was a low bank of clouds in the East.  I tried to wait, but I think now that we went too soon.

More tomorrow.

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
 

No comments: