Thursday, January 22, 2015

Hawaiian Coral

Hawaiian Coral
I just had to get those terrible unsharp images out of my mind so I made these captures.  This is a 100 capture stack at 2.6X using a different lens.  Notice the sand grains in the openings. 

Did I mention that my son Chad and his wife Megan brought back this coral from their visit to Hawaii 2 years ago this March?  I am so pleased with it!

Hawaiian Coral
This is the same piece of coral where a part chipped off revealing the side view of the polyp openings.  A little animal, a polyp, lived in each of those openings.  The polyps secretee calcium carbonate to form their little "house".  Later generations will inhabit vacated openings adding to them using their secretions.

This is a 225 capture focus stack.


Buy your 2015 Calender Here 

Larry's Images http://www.larrysimages.com/



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: