Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Equipment Assembly Examination

Coral Camera Setup
I decided something must be wrong with my equipment.  As previously mentioned, I have mounted a wide angle lens, Sigma 10-20mm, in reverse on the Sigma 180mm macro to function as a closeup filter.  What could be wrong?  I first suspected the mounting coupler.

Lens Reversing Coupler
This coupler is made of two rings which tread together.  I looked for variances in the gap where it attaches.  The threads are very fine and delicate.  It is easy to cross thread them.  I even measured the thickness of the coupler around its circumference to screen the possibility of the cross threading between the two rings.  I found nothing wrong.

I disassembled the lenses and made some shots with the 10-20mm and could not see a problem.  I then decided I must check the 180mm, the last thing I would suspect.

I had been shooting with step small on the CamRanger and decided to continue with my tests of that lens using step small.

180 mm Focus Scale
I focused, using the focusing rail, from the closest focusing point, 1:1, and the CamRanger moved the focus outwards.  This is how far the focus moved during a capture of about 200 images.

Buy your 2015 Calender Here 


Larry's Images



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line. 

No comments: