Saturday, June 7, 2014

Black Locust Tree

Black Locust
The locust in bloom has been one of my lifetime favorites.  They don't seem to bloom beautifully every year.  It is funny they would bloom after such a harsh winter.

Black Locust
In this image, I set up a 42" diffuser to the right which improved the light quality and evenness greatly.  I found myself fussing with the background.  I did not want it to overshadow the subject.  For that reason, I shot at f/8.

Black Locust
A flash unit mounted on the hot shoe proved just the lift I wanted for the subject.

I had ec = +1.5, fec = 0 set.  I have read that the best use of flash is not to show its use.  I think this my be an example of that.  The diffuser is still positioned to the right and the plant is stabilized with a rose holder. 

In retrospect, I wish I had fiddled with DOF a little more.  I could have improved sharpness in specific areas without ruining the background blur.  

Larry's Images



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: