Sunday, March 2, 2014

"Rocks" Evoke Thoughts of Places

Quartz Lava
I set out yesterday to record thoughts evoked by the rocks I had photographed the previous day.  Below is a place which came to mind as I examined these rocks.




Flower Steam Vent
Dallol
                        










Thanks to Jack and Jill Travel for the use of these images from Ethopia.  Dallol is part of the Afar Depression and is about 400 ft. below sea level.  The peaks in the background on the left are part of the caldera of an enormous volcano.  It is a geothermically active place like Yellowstone in the USA.

I have no idea from where the "quartz lava" at the top came, I would guess it came from somewhere in the USA.  The ground around the steam vent forming the flower at the right is lava.

Quartz Lava Setup
I used my Sigma 105 mm lens and two Kenko extension tubes totaling 22 mm for the shot at the top.  

I spent time with my Rocks and Minerals book by Chris Pellant this morning to try to confirm whether my "thoughts" had any connection to reality.  I came away from that exercise thinking they did.  The rounded quartz-like formations surrounding the lava could be Chalcedony having a mammillary habit.

I even created a video for a better look at that piece which I will show tomorrow.

If you get a chance look up Dallol.  The geology is not unlike Yellowstone and very interesting.

                 Larry's Images

Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.                         

No comments: