Monday, March 17, 2014

Quartz/Lava

Lava/Quartz
This is one I thought interesting.  I wish I could learn to do it right, in camera, the first time but I still make mistakes.  This was an Helicon Focus series which did not look very sharp after processing.  I just did not feel the result satisfactory.  At 100% the focus looked soft.

close up
 I was unhappy with the result so I considered the cause.  Could be my old eyes?  What could be causing it?  I realized that I had been shooting at f/22 and decided to try shooting at f/11.  It might have been diffraction causing the problem.  Diffraction occurs when the aperture is so small that the light becomes turbulent as it passes through the small opening.

Quartz/Lava
I reshot the series and was pleased with the improvement.  

close up
I think that you can see the improvement.  This is a visual representation of the effects of diffraction.  It you wish to read more on diffraction, Lloyd Chambers, discusses it.  Click on diffraction on his keywords page.

I ran out of time working on this rock that day and, at the moment, I can't think what was the purpose of a further "redo" I gave myself on it.

Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: