Sunday, March 9, 2014

Harvester Ants

P. anzensis
I borrowed Lucas' ant farm the other day which we got him for Christmas.  It has been fun.  I neglected to ask him what kind of ants they were so I had to find out.  I also broke the light on it so I had to search for a part.

These ants probably live in the desert around San Diego, CA where the company which made the ant farm is located.  They forage on seeds, helping seed dispersal.  Predatory wasps, genus Clypeadon, feed on them according to Wikipedia.

P. anzensis
Their mandibles are pretty scarey looking and they have a beard, visible in the first shot better than this one.

P. anzensis
 The farm, purchased at ToysRus, comes filled with a green gel which contains nutrition and hydration for the ants.  They come in a separate shipment and are sealed in the farm for those concerned about their escape.

P. anzensis
I think that my son put all the ants for the twins farms in one container.  They may be over populated but I don't know.  They may be exhibiting cannibalistic behavior.  Again, I am unsure.  It has been fun getting a closer look at them.  I may share more shots later if I get any better ones.

I also thought about buying one of these farms for me.  I could populate it with ants from my front yard.  Maybe I could even find a dominate female.

Larry's Images

Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: