Thursday, January 30, 2014

Print Mounting Update



Test Print

This test occurred last month in my garage.  The print was mounted on single thickness mat treated on the back with Print Shield, a very expensive application.  I used the larger mount, too.  It did well in the garage until it warmed up and rained.  Then it curled.  Reject that idea!

I am currently using Lauan, a Philippine Mahogany plywood, used as floor under layment.  It is sanded, one side, and quite smooth.  It is 3/16 inch. thick.  The key to my using it came from my neighbor, Mike, who mentioned that it can be cut with a knife.
 
Smooth Mounting Surface

As mentioned earlier, it is sanded one side and has a very smooth surface upon which to mount the prints.

Cutting Lauan
It can be cut with a knife, as mentioned earlier.  It, of course, is not as easy to cut as mat board.  I must replace the blades more often and watch they they don't wiggle during the cut.  I find that a light score is the way to begin.  Many passes make better cuts than few passes.  Too much pressure will cause the blade to wiggle, very undesirable when cutting it back the the edge of the print.

Filled Surface Defects

I inspect the surface for minute imperfections.  I fill them with dry wall filler or wood filler.  Overall, it provides a very smooth surface which does not show through glossy mounted prints.

Sanded, Filled Lauan
I have made several prints, mounting them on Lauan.  I like them much better than double thick backing board which seems to curl also, even when painted on the back.

Speaking of painting, I paint the back of the Lauan before I mount the print.  I use latex which provides a moisture barrier that I consider more reasonably priced.  I plan to test one as soon as I have a "mistake" I can use.  I believe I have found the solution to curling.  

I have not mounted the pull downs on the Lauan as yet.  I would eventually like to resume that practice.

Buy your 2014 Calender Here 

Larry's Images



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the su

No comments: