Sunday, June 23, 2013

Eastern Forktail

Eastern Forktail Female
I have seen several of these.  They seem pretty nondescript at first glance.

Eastern Forktail Male
The male is a bit more colorful.  

I have been noticing that I have difficulty manual focusing on these creatures from the side.  I have found that I look at the hairs on the top of the head because there is more detail there on which to focus.  The DOF, depth-of-field, is not deep enough to keep the entire head in focus and I think the near eye needs to be in sharp focus.  I must make myself look at the near eye, without much detail, instead of the hair.  I have been trying smaller f-stops, too.  It is a balance since the smaller one can cause the image to not be sharply focused in appearance, due to refraction.  My lens, Sigma 70 - 300 mm, goes to f/27 but I think that I like f/19 better.  This all depends on the available light, as I am sure you know.  My goal is to have the background darker and the damselfly lit to stand out.  I use flash, as I am sure that you can see.

Larry's Images

Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 
If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: