Thursday, January 24, 2013

Standoff Mounted Metal Prints

Eulalia Grass Double Triptych
I love grass inflorescence's!  I love the way light plays on them.  I think they make great subjects on which to explore light and composition.  I agree with my daughter Carrie that the blurry background is the best.  Then you have the contrast between blur and sharpness to add to the images.

This print is a compilation of images of the same inflorescence captured during the period of sunrise.  I think it interesting.


Bee Image with Protectant
 Since these prints will not me mounted under glass I decided to protect them for longevity.  I had Premier Art Print Shield here.  I have used it on canvas prints and other prints which are not protected by glass or acrylic.  Atlex.com carries it and provides a how to video.  He sprays with the print horizontal.  The can directs that you spray with the print vertical.  The issue which gives me trouble is that it tends to run if I spray too close or too heavily.  I was able to learn the technique quickly.  I, as the can directs, leave five minutes between coats.  I spray about three coats turning the print 90 degrees after each coat.  I remembered that I should let my print "gas out" for 24 hours before sealing it.  I sprayed some prints that where not gassed out and so far have not noticed any bad effects.  Since we are concerned about longevity, I think that patience is a virtue in this step.


Trimming Off Edges
I let everything cure for a day and then trim off excess paper at the edges.  Since I am cutting a print mounted on mat board, I use my Alto's T-square Cutter.  I try to keep a sharp blade in it.  A slip here would ruin all my previous work.  I try to be careful while sliding the print under the cutter.  I lift it so that it does not scratch the print.  I decided that putting the part to be trimmed off under the cutter was a better procedure.  The edge of the print makes a great guide for alignment of the cut. 

Smoothing Edges with a Bone

 I use my bone to smooth the cut edges.  They tend to be pushed up when the blade passes.  My friend Paul told me it was important for the edges to be clean.  I spend some time on this stage.  I have been experiencing paper separation at the corners so I try to take it easy there or skip using the bone there.  I can fix them in later steps.

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: