Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Home Made Metal Prints With Inkjet Printer

Lesser Scaup "Metal" Print
Recently, I decided to see if I could make prints on metal inkjet paper.  I started with Simply Elegant Metallic Chrome Gloss paper.  I really liked the appearance of my images on this paper and I thought that it compared very favorably with "real" metal prints from Bay Photo.  I was so excited to see if I could do it, that I began using materials I had on hand.

Edges Not Glued Perfectly Square
I decided that it did not matter whether I was able to adhere the paper and backing together exactly since I planned to trim later.  I found the limiting factor to be getting it though a printer with a 13" maximum width.  I had to trim some slivers off so it did not bind passing through.

Tissue to Protect Unprinted Surface from Adhesive
I later discovered that I would need to use the maximum adhesion by spraying the backing and the paper.  That presented the issue of protecting the unprinted surface of the paper.  I was working with materials at hand and found that the tissues I used in my portfolio worked well to protect the paper.  I had to use a fresh one each time I sprayed the paper.

Epson R2880 Printer
My printer had several ways of feeding paper.  One is the front manual feed shown above.  Be sure that you choose the wide setting for the platen during printer setup.  The mounted paper is pushed back through the starts with the front edge next to the arrow on the guide.

Completed Honey Bee Print
As it was in the Chemical Darkroom days, It is exciting to see the print emerge from the printer.


Buy your 2013 Calender Here 



http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

 

No comments: