Friday, January 25, 2013

Metal Inkjet Prints

Eulalia Grass Print
This shot was inspired by my daughter, Carrie.  She really likes the grass inflorescences as I do.  I will need to make this print again after I have developed the process and when I do I want to bring up the mid-tones to emphasize the blurry background slightly more. 

The edges need to be discussed at length.  After using the bone on them, I used a sanding block and a grinder.  I am still not sure which if both will be retained in the overall process, yet.  

Edges Before Smoothing With Bone
Edges After Smoothing
I am surprised at the similarity of working with paper and metal.  In both cases, burrs must be removed.

Cleaning the Edges with a Grinder
I used the grinder on the first one I did.  It gets a little touchy because of the wheel on the other end of the grinder.  The larger the print, the more difficulty with the other wheel.  I could also remove the other wheel.  Incidentally, I use the course wheel.  I am pleased with what it does.  I think that I still like doing the first rounding of corners on the grinder.

Rounding Corners on the Grinder
I rounded each corner twice at first.  I did it from both sides on the grinder.  That required supporting the corner of the print on the grinder rest which sort of offends my sensitivities to protecting the printed surface.  I don't remember it damaging the print but I have decided to do the second rounding by hand.

Sand Grinder Burrs from the Back
This produces a smaller radius corner and I can have more control over different local spots.

I think that I should be very careful not to abuse the corners.  I am experiencing some print separation at the corners and am unsure what is causing this.  More about that later.

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: