Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thinking East Coast

Spotted Sandpiper Carving
We are thinking of Carol's Brother, Don, and Mary, his wife these days.  We talked to them before Sandy hit in its full fury but have not heard from them since.  They are probably just without power.  They live in Ellicot City, Maryland.  Don is a carver of birds and this is one of his many.

Spotted Sandpiper Carving
He recently sent this carving to Carol.  It is possible that I enjoy his carving more than Carol.

Spotted Sandpiper Carving
I love to photograph his work.  This is a species that I have photographed at Gorman Nature Center.  They are a shore bird.  They walk along plucking food from the shallows near shore.

Spotted Sandpiper Carving Setup
The birds head was too much in shadow especially on the bottom with the top light.  I was able to reflect some soft light back under its "chin" with a fourth light.  The fourth light was set three stops below the others and it was reflected.  I wish that I had tried backing the fourth flash further from the reflector.  It was so strong because it was so close.  I was, however; happy with the result.

http://www.larrysimages.com/

Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed 
If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: