Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Instects of Summer Retrospective V

Painted Skimmer
I like to find them perched with a separation to the background to get the blur.  I shoot insects at f/11, 1/16, or rarely at f/22.  It is more an exposure thing than DOF, depth-of-field.  The higher "f" numbers make the blur go away.  I prefer to shot at f/11 if conditions permit.  This one was shot at f/11

Dogday Cicada
I heard these in July this year.  Usually they don't start until August.  I am reminded that autumn and frost is not far off when I hear them.  (Old Farmers Almanac lore)

Ctenucha Moth
It appears that these like nectar also.

Ruby Meadowhawk
This shot was from the summer but if it were a current shot I would call it the autumn meadow-hawk.  They appear similarly but are distinctive species.
 
Sadly, this is the end of the "Insects of Summer Retrospective" series.  Summer is a difficult time in which to photograph because it is so hot.  The heat is saps my energy.  I have come to love photographing the insects and will miss it until next year.


http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook.

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

 

No comments: