Friday, November 2, 2012

Marine Snail Shell
Carol brought home some sea shells and this was among them.  I thought the spiral made the subject interesting.  I set this up in the light box to photograph it.  I found the reflections from the side lights distracting and decided to try to eliminate them.

Marine Snail Shell
  I mounted Edmond Optics Polarizing Film on each flash.  I mounted a circular polarizing filter on my lens and started shooting.  I kept watching the reflections in the LCD on the camera.  I would rotate the filter on the lens a little each time until I found the position in which the reflections were minimized.  I then thought to myself, "I have the perfect rendition of this shell."  BUT when I processed the image I noted the dust on the shell.  I decided to redo it again, this time eliminating the dust.

Marine Snail Shell
I did this one the next day.  I liked the result and thought it was worth a little extra work.  I brought the shell to my desktop under a color corrected light and adjusted the color as nearly as I could to that of the original shell.  (I had used auto white balance during the shoot)  I have dedicated this one to my daughter Carrie as I had her on my mind that whole day.


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook.

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: