Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Photography

Two of my grandchildren are interested in photography.  One is Reed.  You saw him yesterday and the other is Hannah.  Unfortunately Hannah could not come to Thanksgiving because Nathan was sick.  I have heard that Hannah is taking a photography class.  I was hoping to share some of my photography class experiences with her.  Hannah this is for you since you could not come.

Most of this is based on the availability of a conventional dark room.  I don't know if you have access to one.  I once made a pinhole camera.

Pinhole Camera
I made this with cardboard and painted it black inside.  I covered the inside and outside corners and edges with electrical tape.  The lens is a pinhole.  It was a small piece of metal with a tiny hole drilled in it.  The light passes through the tiny hole and projects an image on the back.  About the time photography was getting started or before, artists used this concept with a room.  The light would come through a pinhole in one wall and project onto the opposite with a canvas on it.  The artist would use this projected image to sketch the picture.  This was called a Camera Obscura.

This pinhole camera has a shutter.  It is the tape over the pinhole.  You put the tape in place before you load the film or paper into the back.  This must be done in a darkroom.

Pinhole Camera with Tape Off the Pinhole
When you want to take a picture, you remove the tape from the lens and light enters the camera.  In the early days of photography, the speed of the light sensitive chemicals was very slow.  You would need to count many seconds.  I used photographic paper in my camera and the exposure was 10 seconds.

Pinhole Camera
The back slides off the front for access to the film holding area.

Tomorrow, I will show how the film goes in and a picture captured with this camera.  

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: