Friday, November 30, 2012

NORTH AMERICAN B-25B

B-25B
I recently visited the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton.  I really enjoy photographing aircraft and I thought the visit might prove to be fun.  Yes, it was fun!  If you like Air Force aircraft, you would find a visit well worth your time.

I knew I must have a plan so that I could do justice to the aircraft I photographed.  I chose the B-25 as one of "my" aircraft because I remember liking it from my modeling days.  It was a long range goal for me to build (never accomplished).  I tried to learn as much as possible about it.  30 Minutes over Tokyo was a movie I watched about the bomber.  

B-25B
The display at NMUSAF exhibits the plane as it would have appeared on the flight deck of the Carrier Hornet on the way to Tokyo.  The engines were shrouded as was the dorsal turret.  It was tied down securely also.  Sixteen of this aircraft were flown over Japan dropping bombs.  There was no way to recover them so they had to fly on to China to land.  They ran out of fuel because of an early launch forced by being sited by a Japanese fishing boat.  Many, if not all, crashed or crash landed.  Eight airmen were captured.  Three of them were executed.  One died in prison.  The others were released after the war.

B-25B Mitchell with Engine Shrouds and Tie Downs.
My photography was limited to using the light of the museum.  I used my tripod extensively.  The aircraft was too large for effective flash use.  

B-25B Mitchell showing Wing Flaps
This aircraft had many variants.  The iterations include C,D, E, F, G, H and J.  It was modified in the field with many guns added for strafing.  I understand there was even a cannon added to some.  North American would incorporate successful field modifications into their most recent models.  It served in Europe, Africa, and the Pacific.  Great Britain bought about 900 for their use.  

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



 
 

No comments: