Monday, February 13, 2012

"New" Lighting

Deformed Rock
My lights for this photography consisted of floods and spots made for yard lighting.  I had them mounted on a home made stand and a light floor stand.  They collapsed the other day and would have required a lot of repair.  I decided, since I am currently reading Light and Lighting in Digital Photography by Michael Freeman, that it is time to take a step from the concrete light setup to the abstract.  I began using my Canon EX 550 as a master, flash off, and two EX 420 flashes as the lights.  I am not showing my initial products.  I made this one as my first "successful" effort.  I used "fill light" in Adobe Camera Raw, ACR, to bring up the lighting in the front center. 

Deformed Rock
I then placed a piece, about 4x6, of white mat board flat in front and propped up the camera side so that it would throw light onto the front of the subject.  I am much happier with this arrangement.  
This light setup is giving me a chance to grow in using my flashes.  I also have learned that I was usually using an ISO that was too low for effective use with flash.  I learned this by setting my camera, Canon 7D, to auto ISO.  I noted what it chose and learned the ISO range for flash.

Light Setup

My primary use of flash previously has been insect photography.  I have learned that the infrared beams which the flashes use to talk to the camera get blocked in full sun.  Indoors, though, they work great.


http://www.larrysimages.com/

Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: