Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thick Ice

Think Ice
This shot is captured from the elevated walkway over the pond.  The camera is resting against the rail and hand held.  The white dots are air bubbles encased in the ice.  As I look, I can see that they are at differing levels in the ice.  I can see the thickness of the ice by viewing them.  

I am always concerned about sharpness.  It is the first thing at which I look and this one almost did not make the first cut.  The large bubble in the upper right was sharp the the large one in the lower left was not.  I almost threw it out but I could not understand why it was not sharp.  The sensor of the camera was very nearly parallel to the surface of the ice.  It was held still, otherwise none of the bubbles would be sharp.  I used f/16 which should provide more than enough DOF, depth-of-field.  

I went back the next day to take another look.  The warm temperatures had caused melting and some the air bubbles were gone.  I did realize, as I viewed the scene, that the bubble in the lower left was deeper in the ice and looked out of focus because of that.  I came home and saved the image.  Ascetically, I think that the image would be stronger if both the large bubbles were sharp but that condition did not exist in nature.  What do you think?

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: