Friday, November 18, 2011

Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem
Little Bluestem, aka, Beard Grass is my absolute fav at this season!   I love it for the color the stalks turn.  They add much color to the meadow as the season advances.

Video about Little Bluestem
With all the wind, I have been liking the motions of the grasses and other plants in the meadow.  I have decided that I like the tonal difference between the goldenrod and the Little Bluestem.  I made this video after three days of unsatisfying results.

Speaking of Goldenrod, I have noticed something new to me this year.  There is a terminal anomaly on the stem on many of the plants.

Goldenrod
The anomaly appears as a group of leaves.  I have been aware of the gall fly and its implanting its eggs inside the stem which causes a gall seen on the right in this shot.  Usually the gall is just a hard sphere like formation.  I learned that there are in fact three types of these "galls."  Each one caused by a different insect.  The types are oval gall, round or spherical gall and the leaf gall at the tip of the stem.  Steve Mckee showed me a book by Donald Stokes, Guide to Nature in Winter, which discusses this issue.  Thanks Steve.

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: