Wednesday, November 16, 2011

American Woodcock

American Woodcock
I turned the corner on a trial one morning to find this little guy sitting there.  I had no idea what he was but I had no time to think about it since I was making shots.  It did not seem frightened of me but aware of my presence.  I started moving in closer and it finally stood up.

American Woodcock
I kept shooting trying to get the ideal shot.  It eventually walked away with a step, step, swagger, step, step, swagger movement.  It walked into the thick bushes by the side of the trail.
I read that they migrate at night individually on Wikipedia.  I also read that they have an interesting mating ritual.  The male gives a call to attract the female.   When he has her attention, he does a spiraling vertical flight.  He then comes back down to see her reaction.  After reading about it, I remember going to a spring presentation one evening years ago presented by Merrill Tawse.  I am unsure, but don't think we saw any.  These behaviors occur in the twilight.  I understand that they can happen morning or evening.

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: