Sunday, September 4, 2011

Monarch Butterfly Caterpillar

Monarch Butterfly Caterpillar
I have seen very few of these this year.  I suppose that means that not very many migrated here and laid eggs.  I was surprised to see this one late in the season.  I suppose this my be one that begins migrating when it becomes the butterfly.


I was able to get the sensor of my camera parallel to the worm for more areas of sharp focus.  It was not eating through the leaf as they usually do.  I thought that it was eating a layer off the bottom of the leaf.



I did not know they had "whiskers."

Speaking of migration of insects, the Common Green Darner Dragonflies are gone.  One day they were here and the next they were not.  I have read that they have been observed migrating in a swarm but that we know little to nothing about where they go.

I have seen other dragonflies in flight but have not gotten close enough to them to make an ID.  I suspect that they are Shadow Darners, a late season dragonfly.


http://www.larrysimages.com/

Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: