Saturday, September 10, 2011

Black Walnut Tree

Black Walnut
We had at least one of these trees near our farm buildings.  It was in the back yard.  We would collect the nuts when they fell in the fall and put them in the driveway for the cars to run over.  This would crush the hull off of the very strong inner nut shell.  The hull had a very strong dye in it which would stain your hands and any thing else coming into contact.  

Once they were hulled and the rain had washed away the dyes, we brought them inside and, at our leisure, cracked the shells in the vise and picked out the nut meat.  I think that I might have eaten more than I took into the house.  They told us not to eat too many because they would cause the formation of "kancer" (unsure of spelling) sores in our mouths.   I think that maybe Mom and Dad helped with the process of picking out the nut meats.  I remember doing some of it but not a lot.

I saw this tree the other morning with interesting light and photographed it.  

Black Walnut
I liked the result and thought that I might improve on it a little.  Of course, the light is different in quality every morning.  I have been "working" the idea for several mornings, now.  I have been trying to improve on the composition.  

Black Walnut
I think Japanese for some reason when I look at this shot.  I don't know why.  I think that it has something to do with the background haze color.

Black Walnut
This one, I captured this morning.  We had been having rain and the light was great for color saturation.  It made less of a silhouette.  The texture of the nut's hull is quite visible.  
I have been thinking that one could make a triptych out of some of these.  I really like them!


http://www.larrysimages.com/

Blog 


feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


No comments: