Saturday, August 27, 2011

TBDBITLetter


The Summer 2011 issue came in the mail the other day.  I receive it because I was a member of the band during the 1963 and 1964 seasons.  I usually look through it, noting the pictures and the Obituaries.  I am looking for names I recognize.  This issue had shots from the 1964 season.  Some who know me may not know that I was in the band.  I played euphonium.  I marched as H4.  I can't remember very well, but I think that the number went from the bottom of the above picture to the top.  In that case, I would be in the row on the 20 and four in.  I scanned these from the magazine.  They tend to break down as I zoom in just before I can see myself.


I never had the same place in Script Ohio.  It depended where you came from in the previous formation to the Block "O".  In this photograph, I think that I am in the large "O" at the bottom just to the right of the center.  This is, at the time, new Script Ohio formation.  Previously, the large "O" had been 15 yards wide.  If memory serves it was created under Jack O. Evans during the 1963 season.  You may be able to see that these photographs come from Charles Spohn's family.  He was the director of the 1964 band.  

This band was all male and numbered one hundred.  There were tryouts and challenges every week.  I was able to maintain my H4 position throughout both seasons.  We had to memorize our music on our own time.  The discussion about football players only being required to participate for 20 hours a week reminded me that I probably put in more hours than that a week especially if you count memorizing the music.  I usually arrived one hour before the beginning of the rehearsal for that task.  We rehearsed two hours daily.  

I did not go out during my junior and senior years because I felt the need to focus on my major.  I remember many Saturday afternoons in my practice room at Hughes Hall.  I would be on the West side and could hear the cheers erupt from the stadium.  I found myself wishing that I could be a part of the fun.  It was fun but also a lot of work.  "OH"

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



 

No comments: