Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Beetle and a Dead Butterfly

Pennsylvania Leather-wing
The Prairie Dock is nearing the end of its blooming period.  This Pennsylvania Leather-wing was on this one the other morning.  I knew that I had seen that beetle before but could not remember its name until I looked it up.  I think my shows at the nursing homes helped me review my ID's.  I am not doing that at present.

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
To me, this is art.  It evokes emotion in me.  I feel sorry that the butterfly is dead.  I know that is the way things work in nature but I still feel repulsed by the prospect.  The moment that I first saw this, I found the pattern interesting and my eyes went over it trying to organize it.  I knew that I recognized it but could not put a name to it.  I knew, of course, that it was a butterfly.  Unlike the previous insect, this is one that I see almost daily this time of year and know it any time and anywhere.  The realization dawned on me as I looked at the rear wing on the right.  Then I saw it.  There is probably a chance that a bird got this one.  

http://www.larrysimages.com/

Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: