Thursday, August 18, 2011

Commen Milkweed Inhabitors Addendum

Pennsylvania Firefly
From the Archives, these shots show more animals which inhabit the Milkweed.  The Firefly is a winged beetle.  The term Crepuscular refers to their being active at twilight. Their light is chemically produced. I learned that some of them can be cannibalistic.  Speaking of Fireflies, I don't think that I have seen any this year.  Maybe it is because I go to bed too early.  Suffice it to say, I have seen them on the milkweed.

Brown Daddy Long-legs
This spider is sometimes called Harvestmen in other locations.  I used to recognize it because it has long legs.  I had never thought to look closely until I photographed it in an extreme closeup.  I then realized that the idea I had of it needed revamping.

Brown Daddy Long-legs
This shot, on a single blossom of the Milkweed, shows the idea changing characteristics of this spider.  Wikipedia points out:  "They have a single pair of eyes in the middle of their heads, oriented sideways."  The eyes are clearly shown on this shot.  

If I find or think of any other animals which live on the Milkweed, I will let you know.  Do you know of any?  I would be interested to hear from you.

http://www.larrysimages.com/

Blog


feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: