Sunday, October 24, 2010

The bird that made me fall.

Spotted Sandpiper
This bird, or one like it, had been feeding in the Frog Pond for more than a week.  The Frog Pond is a faux vernal pool.  The water is very low at present.  This presents a shore-like environment in which the sandpiper can feed.  It is fun to watch it work.  I have not yet discovered what it pulls out and eats.  I am wondering if it might be larval dragonflies.  One morning, recently, while I was photographing this bird, I slid in the slippery edge of the pond and fell, scaring the bird away.  The mud was soft and it cushioned my fall.  The mono-pod, on which my camera was mounted, had sunk into the mud far enough to steady the camera during my fall.  The next day when I returned, I thought I noticed the bird being more skittish.  That is certainly understandable!



feed is:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml

To unsubscribe email larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe in the subject line.

No comments: