Saturday, October 23, 2010

I reserve the right to change my mind!

The September 14th blog was about an image of a sundog at Gorman Nature Center. 

I really liked the image as you might remember.  I just got around to making a print of this and discovered that I was liking it less and less.  I looked at it for several days trying to decide what I disliked about it.  I finally decided that there were too few mid tones probably because they had changed to low tones in the print.  I went back and reworked part of it bringing out the mid-tones for the print and I am starting to like it again.  I have known that I cannot leave the print with what I see on the monitor and assume that it will print that way.  I just reviewed the previous blog and noticed that those mid-tones were there in the original but had been lost in the print.  This happens sometimes because the image on the monitor is back-lit.  The image on a print is reflected light and even though the computer system is calibrated, appears different.  The low tones tend to block in a print.  It is a shortcoming of the printer.

Gorman Sundog
  Compare this one to the one shown on Sept. 14.  You may have trouble seeing much difference but the difference of the prints is very notable.

http://www.larrysimages.com

blog

To unsubscribe mail larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: