Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Metal Prints

Dandelion Print 12x12
I gave Megan a metal print of this image for Christmas.  It was printed by Bay Photo on metal in 16x16 size.  I gave Carrie the same size metal print of an image she liked.  It was as much a gift to me as it was to them.  I really wanted to see how my images would look on metal.  I liked what I saw.  

Before the metal prints arrived, I had already purchased Simply Elegant Metallic Chrome Gloss inkjet paper which is on sale at Atlex.com currently.  I had ordered the standoffs to go with the metal prints and wanted to see if I could produce something like that here with my equipment.  I had initially ordered the 10 sheet sampler size (see link above).  The largest print that I could make on them, of course, was 8 in wide.  It is good that I started with the smaller paper because the smaller ones are easier to do when starting out.

Paper and Backing
I had a friend who was really up on the traditional mounting mode of hot press and/or cold press.  He wanted to show me but I guess I was too busy to learn.  I have used spray adhesive occasionally and was so anxious to get started that I used that to mount the paper.

Backing and Spray Adhesive
I had 3M "77" adhesive on hand and started with that.  I have since looked into "acid free" adhesive and discovered that 3M (Scotch) has one or more available.  I am currently waiting upon its arrival.  I started by spraying the backing only and then laying the back of the paper into it.  That went fairly well but I have since decided the adhesive must be sprayed onto both the back and the print paper.  That is a much more difficult process!

Attaching Back to Paper
I knew that I had some leeway in getting in attached squarely since I planned to trim down to the edges of the actual print.

Buy your 2013 Calender Here 


http://www.larrysimages.com/



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: