Saturday, February 18, 2012

Polarized Flash

Deformed Rock
I am finding that this is a very interesting rock.  You will see more of it.

I was not exactly happy with the "hot" spot on the right.  I have an aversion to this sort of thing.  I did not see "blinkies" in the histogram on the camera or in PS.  It still looked hot.  I see this on TV and I don't like it there either.  I wanted to see what could be done with it.  So I shot it again using polarizing filters on the flashes and camera lens.

Deformed Rock Shot with Polarization
Adjusting the polarizing filter on the camera lens was a little tricky for me.  My camera has a button call DOF preview.  When pressed it causes the flashes to emit a light which does not last very long.  That is the light by which I adjusted the filter.  

I am happy with the "hot" spot on the right in this one.  I am sure that you will notice that the overall exposure is lower.  I did not change settings on the camera or the flash.  My sense tells me that the polarizing did not correct the "hot" spot but rather the polarizing lowered the exposure enough to correct the spot.

Polarizing the flash is something that I have wanted to try for a long time.  I bought the polarizing material from Edmond Optics several years ago.  I just never got around to trying it.  Recently, I saw a before and after shot of a sea shell where it was used to dramatic effect.  I had not realized that polarizing affects sea shells.  I knew about sky, plant leaves, and water surface.  I have some rocks which have been tumbled to a glossy sheen.  I want to try it on them.

I made sure that polarizing material was mounted on the each flash with the plane of it's effect the same.


http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: