Saturday, June 14, 2014

Iris Versicolor

Blue Flag Iris
The best light for photographing these is on the Southeast side of the pond.  It is shade.

Blue Flag Iris
That side of the pond is guarded by a male Red-winged Blackbird.  This particular male is extra feisty.  He has never touched me but he has intimidated me by flying close to the back of my head.  I have felt the wind from his wings.  I have watched him with other people, unsuspecting, who walk around the pond on that side.  From a distance it is funny to watch their reaction, but up close I don't find it funny.

Red-winged Blackbird
I recognize his agitated "chirping" and finally when extremely defensive he emits a whistle.  When I hear it, I know that an "attack" is eminent.  He has intimidated me to the point that I have thought about murder, not what the rational me wants to do.  I have actually avoided that area to avoid confrontation.  Had I completely done that I would not have the images of the Blue Flag Iris.  I have accommodated his aggressive behavior with defensive behavior of my own.

Larry in Defensive Raiment.
Beyond this effort I still have murder in my heart.

Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: