Saturday, February 22, 2014

Citrine Quartz

Citrine Quartz
I became aware of "citrine" last summer when I photographed the Citrine Forktail damselfly.  I was so busy that I did not take time to look it up.  I stumbled into it recently when I looked for "yellow quartz" on Wikipedia.

This quartz is full of impurities not evenly mixed in.  It is not of a quality for making jewelry, obviously.  Wikipedia says that citrine quartz and topaz are virtually indistinguishable, visually, when cut for jewelry.  They do differ in hardness so you could distinguish that way.  Citrin quartz is rare in nature but is produced either from amethysts or smoky quartz.

Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

  

No comments: