Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Print Mounting Update

Lauan Masked on the Finish Side
I wanted to share additional things about my print mounting.  I have previously mentioned that I am mounting my prints on lauan.  After inspecting the finish side, I mask it off so that paint from the other side will not pool and stick.

Painting Lauan Back
In view of the problems previously discussed, I have started using external latex on the back.  It does not come in mat so I decided to try semi-gloss.  I like it much better.  It creates a moisture impermeable layer.  It is washable and looks better.

Sanding Final Cut Edges
The sanding "block" pictured is a leftover from my model aircraft days.  It is made by Great Planes.  The abrasive has adhesive on the back and stays in place well.  The length provides adequate straight edge sanding to work out the wiggles of the cutting blade.  Once this sanding is complete, I fill the edges with Elmer's Wood Filler.  It is water soluble for cleanup.  I tried masking the print before filling but the masking tape (I tried three types) ruined the appearance of the print so I must be careful while filling and wash the front and back off before the filler sets on either side.  I have found that I need not rush the clean up as long as it is done in a timely fashion.

The result is something I am proud to hand you for your examination.  I wish you could see it.  I have yet to test it in the garage.  When I do, I will report.  I feel confident that it will pass the test.

Buy your 2014 Calender Here 


Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larrys-Images/117716691628705?sk=wall



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line. 


No comments: