Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Rock Assortment Closeups

Rock Assortment
I recently decided to do some macro photography using back light (light coming from behind the subject).  I found a few of these rocks upon which to work.

Amethyst
 These rocks were run through a tumbler and they appear and feel smooth.  A closer look reveals them to be anything but.  You can see the clear or opaque quartz.  Amethyst is commonly used in jewelry.  This is not the quality needed for that application.

64ths Of An Inch
I used my Sigma 105mm macro lens mounted on my entire set of Kenko Extension Tubes.  The total extension is 68mm, making the lens able to focus closer up.  I used a Canon 500D close up filter on the front end.  The image above is a of a scale showing 64ths of an inch.  I calculate it to be 3.6X on the sensor.

Buy your 2014 Calender Here 


Larry's Images



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


No comments: