Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Macro Photography

Scud
I just read George and Kathryn Lepp's column in the current Outdoor Photographer Magazine.  In it, one question was about macro photography beyond 1X.  It informed me of some aspects of that genera I had previously not considered.  I had used a 1.4x teleconverter with my Sigma 70-300 "macro" lens but never a 2x teleconverter with my Sigma 105 mm macro lens.

I decided to think through the process of macro photography once again.  The above shot was made using my Sigma 105 mm macro with a Canon 500d high quality multi-element closeup lens mount in front.  Incidentally,  That rig will auto focus.  I believe I used auto focus to make this image.  

Canon 7d, Sigma 105 mm, canon 500d
I decided to photograph a machinist's scale.  I set the lens on its nearest focus point, the point at which it is rated at 1x.  1x would the where the subject is full size on the sensor.  The sensor measures 22.3 mm which converts to .878 inch.

Sensor Size
This is a a shot of the 64th gradation side of the scale.  (All shots of the scale were made of this side)  I get 62.5/64 from this which converts to .820 inch.  It looks like a .06 inch difference which seem excessive to me.  Any way, that is what I got for 1x.

Backswimmer
This insect was shot using the Sigma 105 mm lens other wise unembellished.  That means it could not be larger than 1x on the sensor.

I did notice that using the 2x converter on the the 105mm lens did not cause a major reduction in the working distance.  I will get to that tomorrow.

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: