Sunday, February 3, 2013

Iris Print

Iris Print
I am arriving at my final procedure for creating these prints.  This print is one of my favorites and those who see it agree.  

I have learned to mount the prints after printing, eliminating the problems with controlling the size of the print in my printer driver.  Previously, I did not have much experience printing mounted paper.  I have begun using the Scotch Photo Mount, an acid free spray adhesive.  It is not as "grabby" as the #77 adhesive was.  I can look at the right top corner and then down to the right side moving a little until it aligns.  I can press it in and it stays.  It works well.  I think that I will spray maybe two coats before mounting, then trim to the edge of the print. 

 I am sanding the edges by hand with my sanding block.  I think the grinder may have been too harsh.  I use 80 grit paper and use six passes per side.  I then angle the block maybe 30 degrees toward the print and sand six more passes.  This smooths the area between the print and the edge.  I then angle the block toward the back and make six more passes.  This creates and nice smooth bevel to take the acid free paint.  

The corners get as many passes but are treated gently.  I apply the same bevel there.  I have found that I, for some reason, tend to make the bevel toward the print too great.  I am rectifying the problem.  I have experienced no more print separations which occurred in my early efforts.  I kind of think that spraying on the back of the print and on the backing was needed.
 
I really like the Sharpie Water Based Paint marker.  The tip is wide making application easy.  I use the same angles described for the sanding but using only one pass at each angle.  It makes a very attractive edge. 

After the edges are prepared and painted, I think that I will apply another coat of Premier Art Print Sealer so that the edges are sealed also.

Buy your 2013 Calender Here 


http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: