Monday, July 9, 2012

Summer Grape

Summer Grape Tendril

I noticed this tendril the other morning as I walked down the trail.  It was at my eye level, a good thing for my sore back.  I thought its shape interesting so I photographed it.  I chose a medium telephoto, a Sigma 105 mm f/2.8 lens, to make the blurred background. I like the contrast between a sharp subject and a relatively smooth background.  I liked the way the light was emphasizing the coiled parts.  Of course, the colors of the background and subject are complementary. 

I then changed lenses to a wider, Sigma 24 - 70 mm, f/2.8 lens. 

Summer Grape Tendril Setup
The wider Sigma 24 - 70 mm, f/2.8 lens has a higher inherent depth-of-field, DOF, as you can see.  It also shows a wider angle which includes the Manfrotto rose holder I used to steady the stem.  The slight breeze precluded my using a high DOF technique using Helicon Focus software.  I felt that the slight breeze even using the rose holder, would cause problems in Helicon Focus so I opted for f/16 in both shots.  In the above shot, I could have used f/8 or f/11 giving a smoother blur in the background had I used the high DOF technique.  

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: