Sunday, April 8, 2012

An Easter Gift

Cast Plaster Bunny

I found this figurine last fall when looking through a box of things from my mother's house.  I put it up so that I would remember to photograph it last winter.  At the time, I thought that she had painted it but closer examination revealed that it was purchased and probably given to her by one of her piano students. 

I used this as a learning opportunity for lighting.  I used two 420 EX slave flashes, one on either side.  My 7D has built in control for the flashes and I have been learning to use it.  I spent time figuring out the settings.  Finally, I got what I wanted.  I thought that the flash on the bunny's face should be brighter than the one on the backside.  I achieved that balance and then noted that the back wheel of the trike was not lit sufficiently.  I decided to add another light.  It was low, to the right of the camera and further back.  It lit the back wheel but caused too much light on the backside (see above). 

Setup
The third flash has the Stoffen Diffuser on it since it is hitting the bunny directly.  I found that this recreated the excessive lighting on the backside of the bunny.  I place the scrim to block lighting to the backside but allow light through for the wheel.  I found afterwards that my effort was not completely successful and I had to darken the backside with dodge/burn.  I think that the reason this happened is because some of the light went around the scrim and through the soft box to the bunny backside.

I felt good, exerting control over the lighting in this way.

Painted Plaster Bunny

http://www.larrysimages.com/



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: