Thursday, December 8, 2011

Kell Hardware

Kell Hardware Store, Lexington
I was fixing something for my daughter-in-law the other day and needed a tool from the hardware store.  I happened to notice a sign in the window as I entered stating that they have been in business for 125 years.  Let's see, that would be about 4 generations.  It would go back to 1880's probably.   I don't know if they have been at that location for all those years.

I found that they have a web presence associated with the Lexington Business and Growth Association.  They still have the old wooden floors and bins and lots of "real" tools.  

I have noticed, over the years, that this kind of place is becoming less and less common   I have seen several close during my years in Mansfield.  I love this kind of store and used to just walk around and look at things.  I go somewhere like this when I am "creating"  something.  I like to see what is available for my "project" at the time.  It causes my juices to flow.

I found exactly what I needed that day.  I had a part for a toy which was cross threaded.  It turned out to be a metric size.  Not a problem at Kell's!  A knowledgeable person quickly determined the size and sold me the Tap, a tool to clean the threads, that I needed.  I don't find that at the big places.  Usually the person does not know about what I am talking.

I had the idea that my granddaughter, Lexie, who is studying Communications at OSU might like to interview the owner while I make a video.  It turns out that she is not into that area of study.  I still think that it would be interesting to learn the history.


http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: