Monday, December 5, 2011

Goldenrod Deformities

Goldenrod Stem
Previous to this fall, I was aware of only one type of deformity of the goldenrod.  This is the one.  I recently blogged about the new anomalies, to me, that I have found.  Steve McKee made me aware of Guide to Nature in Winter by Donald Stokes.  The book as Steve said is out of print.  I am sorry because it contains a wealth of information for me.  

This "gall" above is the ball gall.  It is caused by an insect, moth or fly, laying its eggs inside the young tender stem in the summer.  When the eggs hatch, the larvae use the the stem for food.  The plant grows this tumor in response to the chemicals secreted by the larvae.  They use it for food and often winter in it before burrowing out.

Goldenrod
I think these are two ball galls close together.

Goldenrod
  You can see where the insect larvae exited on this elliptical gall.

goldenrod


This is the third one called the Bunch Gall.  It caused the growth at the growing tip of the stem to cease.

goldenrod

 Sometimes, the stem will sprout mini flower stems from below the tip. 

http://www.larrysimages.com/



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
 

No comments: