Friday, December 9, 2011

Fungi

False Turkeytail
I recently noticed these fungi growing on a log in the forest, a place I don't always visit except at this time of year.  The thing which intrigued me was the powder blue coloration.  I can't remember seeing that previously.  I like doing close-up shots so I went to work.
False Turkeytail
My lens of choice for this kind of shot is my Sigma 105 macro.  It is probably my sharpest lens and I love using it.  I was not thinking of it at the time but when I viewed it on the computer, I thought of a square-dance skirt.  This kind of shot is extremely difficult for me, physically, because of the short working distance of the lens.  I found it painful to walk when I finished this shoot.

False Turkeytail
False Turkeytail
Having been a skirt watcher for most if not all of my adult male life, I decided that the bottom was the most interesting part.  I tried to apply that concept in making this shot.  I tried a different lens for this shot. It was a Sigma 70 -300 mm macro.  It has a longer working distance which I hoped would help my back.  I used a Canon 500d close up filter get the coverage of the subject that I needed.  I still found it difficult for my back.

False Turkeytail
  I had another idea.  For this one I used my Sigma 50 - 500 mm lens with extension tubes.  The total for the extension was 36 mm and then I found that I needed to add my Sigma 1.4x teleconverter.  I did not like the sharpness of this arrangement but it was a little easier on my back.  It was an unwieldy looking setup!

Camera Setup
I am not sure that I am finished with this.  I wish that I could bring it to my workbench.  It would be a lot easier to shoot!

http://www.larrysimages.com/



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: