Thursday, November 18, 2010

A new plant

Willow Herb
I have walked past this plant countless times.  It has never captured my attention until recently.  I noticed it before sunrise as I passed it.  The empty seed pods form the "bouquet."  They have split open and released their seeds on parachutes.  I suppose that the draw for me was the soft appearing texture contrasted with the harsh sharp texture of the plants growing around it.  I use Newcomb's Wildflower Guide, but it requires that you observe the flower which for most plants is unavailable at this time of year.  I asked Steve McKee for help with it and even he, had to think before he could answer.  He believes this to be a Willow Herb.  We will have to wait until next season to determine for sure which one it is.

The image does not have a lot of tonal contrast.  It has little color contrast, also.  I looked at it as a B & W image but I thought that it lost something.  I think that I find the warm brown tones appealing.  One interpretation I considered was a completely neutral rendition, color wise, but I rejected it.  I can't really see anyone wanting it on their wall, but there is something that I like about it.

http://www.larrysimages.com


Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


No comments: