Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Responsability to Nature!

Autumn Meadowhawk Dragronfly
We recently had some "Indian Summer" weather in Mansfield.  I was reminded that I had a record shot of an Autumn Meadowhawk Dragonfly from last year and would like a quality capture for my collection.  I went out on two different days to shoot them.  This is the one that I consider my best.  It satisfies all that I desired for the image except that I would have liked one without damaged wings.

I had an experience during these two days about which I would like to share.  I was thinking about photographing one of these dragonflies at home in the light tent.  That, of course, would demand that I physically capture it.  I took my butterfly net and tent in which to transport the insect.  I actually netted one but then I thought that I might scare it and the other dragonflies would fear me.  Some of you must think that I am a little "strange."  I then came across the writing of a famous nature photographer, George Lepp.  Reportedly he has written a new book and says in it the following.  “The lesson:  When you encounter an animal in the wild, you represent all of that individual’s cumulative experiences with humans, and you are adding to that experience with your own actions.”  I don't feel quite as "unusual" after reading George's comments.

When, on that same day, after releasing the dragonfly because I did not want to scare it or the others, I had a memorable experience shooting the insects.  I captured the above image during the shoot.  I also had intimate contact with the dragonflies.  I did nothing to encourage it.  I just sat there and waited. 

These images are images of lesser quality, captured with the point and shoot camera that I usually carry on my belt.  Apparently, the insects were unafraid of me.




I think that the warm sun on my knee and shoulder was welcoming to them.  I sometimes feel that the insects like to pose for me.  The image at the beginning was one in which the insect gave me a gift by posing in that fashion.  I had worked two days and had never seen that pose.  I am glad that I was able, technically, to capture it.

http://www.larrysimages.com


Blog


feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: