Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Shadow Darner
This is one of the late season dragonflies active at this time of the year.  I have been seeing them for several weeks.  The other dragonflies, for the most part, are all gone.  I had been unable to get a shot of the Shadow Darner until the other morning, sunless and kind of cool, I observed one hoovering over a vernal pool.  It performed a lot of this behavior, enough that I thought that I might be able to photograph it.  I had several shots that I considered usable on a limited basis, of which this was one.  It is by far the best shot that I have of this dragonfly in flight. This one is probably a male.  They are known to fly into early November, the latest of any other darner.  My information comes from the ODNR Field Guide, Common Dragonflies & Damselflies of Ohio.



Feed is  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml

No comments: