Monday, September 27, 2010

The Light is almost everything!

Gorman Nature Center cell tower
Ten years ago, at the camera store, a customer service representative advised me that photography is 95% light.  The advice caused me to wonder what that meant.  I have been looking for it ever since.  This shot was made because the light was doing something which I thought was worth capturing.  I don't think that the cell tower is particularly attractive or that it adds to the landscape.  The sun was peeking through a cloud and shedding light on the top of the tower.  The tower became significantly higher toned than the clouds in the background. The other thing I learned from looking for what the light was doing, was to look for what the light was not doing.  Backgrounds seem to work better if they are lower toned than the subject.  Someone once observed that your eye goes first the point of highest contrast.  In this image, the highest contrast is located at the horizon.  When I get there, I look for the next highest contrast and I see the tower.  It is possible that I did not spend enough time with this one.  It might have been better had I used a telephoto lens.  The truth is that I ran out of time.  The light changed and did not come back.  The light does want it does fleetingly.  End of shoot.

No comments: