Tuesday, August 16, 2011

New Plant becomes Narrow-leaved Willow Herb

Remember this plant!
I blogged about it last Nov. 18.  You may remember that we have been waiting on it to bloom so that we could make a more specific ID.  Well, it is currently in bloom! It turns out to be the Narrow-leaved Willow Herb (confirmed by Steve McKee at the nature center).   

Narrow-leaved Willow Herb
The blooms are fairly small.  I might have noticed it blooming previously but have not photographed it.  I still have a stem from the previous one lying on my desk.  The plant that I was looking for among all the others would have opposite leaves on the stem.  This one did and turned out to be the correct one.  It grows in a wet place along the trail.  Ferns are growing next to it.

Narrow-leaved Willow Herb
I put a Canon 500D closeup filter on my Sigma 105 mm macro lens for this shot.  You can see the rose holder in the background.  I needed it to stabilize the plant.  I shot multiple captures for additional Depth-of-field and used Helicon Focus software to combine them.

Narrow-leaved Willow Herb
I again used the Sigma 105 mm macro for this shot.  Instead of the Canon closeup filter I used a Mamiya 50 mm, f/1.7 lens mounted in reverse as a closeup lens.  It increases the magnification to near microscopic range.  It is a tiny flower which is very beautiful. 

I have heard people say that they do not like green as a background color for a flower like this.  I discussed this issue with my wife, Carol, and she suggested some other colors and possibly a different crop.  What do you think about this for your wall?  Does it need a different background?

http://www.larrysimages.com/

Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook.  


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: