Friday, April 21, 2017

Cuprite



I received a comment the other day from one of my viewers stating that she does not always know what she is seeing.  I am making an effort to address that need by my slight change of format.  Please note Facebookers:  You will see a link like this after the title of the blog:  http://ift.tt/2ovlRD5  It is a bitly link to the actual blog on which you will see more images of subject.  The above link does not lead to this blog.
Cuprite
This small sample is from Morenci, Arizona.  It is about 1/4" wide.

Cuprite is a minor ore of copper.  The crystals have many faces and according to Wikipedia there is also internal reflection.  The reflections are not too much of a problem at this size but the problem intensifies as the view moves in.

Cuprite
As the view moves in the camera metering does not keep up and the faces become over exposed.  The camera and the Photoshop histogram do not show the blown out pixels.  I found that they are blown out when I tried to burn them to bring the exposure down on the overexposed faces.  Burning does not work because there are no pixels there to burn.

Cuprite
This is my best shot of the sample at FOV 10/64".  There are still a couple faces blown out in this.  I have gravitated toward underexposure of the shot at least  a negative 1.5 stops.  This gets the faces exposed under control and I can add fill light in Camera Raw to the raw files.



 
Buy your 2017 Calendar Here 


Larry's Images and Aerial

Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



No comments: